Saturday, February 26, 2011

F is for Fishing



yet another tale of childhood humiliation

The first time I want fishing, I was maybe 6 years old. I had no clue what I was doing, but I'd seen pictures of boys with fishing line and worms, so when I came across some fishing gear in Grandma's house on the coast of Maine, I decided I would give it a try. I dug some worms, went down to the dock, put a worm on a hook, and waited. Pretty soon I pulled up this fat alien-looking green fish with buggy eyes and teeth. It looked like a tiny green whale. I didn't know a fish could be that ugly. I was terrified of it, and I couldn't get the hook out of its mouth. But I was proud to have caught something so I took it to Grandma and asked if she could serve it for lunch.
Grandma didn't let me forget about that ugly green fish for years.

No comments: