Saturday, July 28, 2007

Poetry News Flash

1.Karen Schubert was nominated for a best of the net award for her poem, "Wisconsin" in the online journal Apple Valley Review.

2. Neil Carphathios has 2 new award-winning books out, both of them stunning collections: Playground of Flesh and At the Axis of Imponderables

3. I discovered a wonderful online magazine, The Box Car Review: edited by Neil Aitken. http://www.boxcarpoetry.com/

4. Another online magazine to check out is the new DMQ Review. http://www.dmqreview.com/ I love Neil Aitken's poems in there. I guess he's a great editor and poet . . .

5. Peter Conners has a new book of prose poems out: Of Whiskey and Winter. I am loving it. How's this for an opening to the poem, "American Prose Poet:"
I love prose poetry but don't speak French. I don't speak anything really. Mispronounce the great minds. That's an order. Say Goethe like Go The. Say Ponge like Sponge with a P. Make Max Jacob an Amish farmer. Go ahead, they're dead. Only the academics can cut you know, and we all know about them; they eat canapes and call it art.

6. And now that I am talking about poets I love, check out Rick Bursky. Anything he writes. But especially his first book, The Soup of Something Missing. The guy is brilliant.

No comments: