Saturday, February 28, 2009

The poet and the businessmen are dismissed . . .

I had jury duty yesterday. I expected it to be a minor crime at most, a one to three day event. Instead it was a violent murder-rape-kidnapping-burglary case. I was dismissed because I will be out of the county when the case opens. (As the judge said with a smile, the poet and the businessmen are dismissed.) Three people raised their hands to say they had health reasons which prevented them from being able to serve. One man said he was deaf and proceeded to answer all the questions the judge asked him. A woman said she had a seizure disorder, that in fact she had a doctor's appointment in twenty minutes and was out of her meds. Another man said he couldn't see, but he left with his car keys in hand.

1 comment:

Lyle Daggett said...

I'm sitting here wondering who that leaves to be on the jury...