Tuesday, February 5, 2008



This is recent pic of Suzanne's family in El Salvador. Not sure what they're making, but sometimes when I get wrapped up in my world here, I like to take a break and look at pics of her there.

I think of her recent phone calls when she tells how she doesn't think she's doing enough. Jeepers, I want to say. You mean you haven't saved the world yet? Me, I'm still trying to fix line 3 in a poem about God only knows what.

S told me this joke she learned in the Peace Corps. What do you call someone who knows two languages? Bilingual. What do you call someone who knows three languages? Trilingual. What do you call someone who speaks only one language? Gringo.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

think I learned that joke in France... people are snobbier there. I repeated it to my family when they were discussing how much better the US education system is because Americans actually learn foreign languages. Haaaaa.