Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sentence

The new Sentence has arrived. I love Sentence! I love the title--I often think of sentences as an issue when I write. I tend to use too many dependent clauses. I think in terms of if and because and suppose. And then I leave out the second half of the if. Who cares about the then?

I love to let phrases dangle out in space, alone and unmodified. Those fragments that were once X-ed off my pages now claim their own space triumphantly. Go ahead, say I'm not a sentence! they say.

Maybe it's the philosophy and religious studies student in me. How I lack conclusions to all my thoughts. I do wonder, though . . .

Is the world a declarative sentence? A simple is?
Or a compound sentence, both this and that.
Or is it either/or, but not neither/ nor?
Or is there a because, or only a maybe? A perhaps?
Is it hanging out there like an illusion, a ghost, a cloud, a passing thought?

Is there a beginning, and if so, then is there an end? If there is a big bang, is there also an infinite silence?

I like the idea of reincarnation, but each day I experience entropy. Usually it happens at 4:00 in the afternoon when my mind blanks out, and I wonder if I will ever have an interesting thought again. It's too early for dinner, too late for hope and ideals, and it is neither afternoon nor evening, neither a dark time nor a light time . . .

That time when everyone wonders if they will ever make love again. And I know they won't.

I have sentenced them all to this fate . . .

No comments: