Monday, January 10, 2011

"Students Today"



I was thinking today about some of the things my children's teachers said over the years, such as:

Students today . . . I mean, they don't make them like they used to.

Well, the students were conjugating their nouns again today in Spanish class.

A student asks for some extra work in math class because she's bored, and I ask,
Why? You want me to make extra work for next year's teacher?

I don't feel like teaching Spanish today. Do you want to watch Jerry Springer instead?

I understand that students usually have to write several essays for their AP English classes. But this is a large class, and I assigned the first paper for the year. It was horrible! The students do not know how to write, and I, for one, am not going to read 35 horrible papers again.

I am sorry to tell you that I tested the entire class in math skills, and some of my students scored very well. I know this might not be popular with some of you parents and children, but what this means is that I will be asking these talented boys and girls to prepare for the math competition. I think I can take a team to Columbus this year. But I apologize in advance . . .

3 comments:

DJ Vorreyer said...

Wow, these are pretty bad. But I teach, and we are not all like the teachers you mention. Are there teachers out there like this? Unfortunately, yes. But there are just as many of us who take our jobs very seriously.

Nin Andrews said...

Yes, the kids had some great teachers as well. Actually, the one in the post who insisted some kids prep for a math competition was one who really was great. The bad were really bad. The good very good.

Lyle Daggett said...

In junior high school I had an art teacher (who was also my homeroom teacher in seventh grade) who had a voice just like Raymond Burr in the old Perry Mason T.V. show. He was tired and cynical, and when he talked to us in class he frequently called us "losers." As in, "If any of you losers..." etc.

An ART teacher, for crying out loud. (Fortunately, the English teachers I had weren't quite that bad...)