Friday, January 7, 2011

C is for Christmas Concert (The Worst Day Ever)


I was in first grade. It was the Christmas concert. All the girls wore black pleated skirts and red bows in their hair. We were supposed to singing Christmas carols, but I hadn't learned the words. I remember the spot light coming on and thinking, Wow. This is like being a movie star! So I started singing whatever came into my mind at the top of my lungs. We had grits and eggs for breakfast, fa-la-la-la-la-la-la.

I was feeling pretty happy until I looked out and saw the top of my father's bald head. It was crimson, the color he got when he was what he called boiling mad. Suddenly I stopped singing. Next thing I knew I was feeling dizzy. Then I was puking all over Martha who was standing on the bleachers just below me.

As one of my sisters pointed out later that day: We all heard you!

Sometimes, when I stand up to read, I have a flashback to that day, esp. if it's a dark room, and the light is shining on my face.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Love it. More drawings! please..