Tuesday, July 15, 2008

What Is It about the French?

Do people speak English to you in El Salvador?

No, at least not in the places I was.

Although they did at the Sheraton in San Salvador.

And sometimes, when they did speak English to me, I would have a moment of panic, trying to figure it out. The first question I have to answer is:

Was that Spanish? Or English?

Do they speak other languages?

English is the language most people want to learn. Many might want to come to the U.S.. But there was one man at the Sheraton in San Salvador who spoke French as well as English, and he told me how he hated the French. Shoot, even the school director in Suzanne's tiny village hates the French. When I asked him why, he answered that he had been to Spain. As if that answered it.

What is it about the French?

No comments: