Tuesday, April 3, 2012

What are your artistic goals?


I just read advice on what one should do for day 2 in order to become a better writer, or rather, a writer with a better platform.

For day 2: one should make a list of one's goals.

I like writing down my goals. I just don't like doing them.

The top of my desk is covered with lists of must-dos. I am sure I must do so many things. I am equally sure I won't . . .

The best made plans of mice and men
and me
swing aft and forth
and windward and hard to lee

But I suppose it's true . . .

as the best laid men say
foresight sometimes . . .
just sometimes
promises joy


But I do feel for that mouse
for whom the present only toucheth . . .

But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
In proving foresight may be vain;
The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men
Gang aft agley,
An'lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

Still thou art blest, compar'd wi' me
The present only toucheth thee:
But, Och! I backward cast my e'e.
On prospects drear!
An' forward, tho' I canna see,
I guess an' fear!

4 comments:

ACravan said...

This all works for me and I love the drawing. Wish I were judging. Actually I did judge a moot court competition last month. I found it difficult and disagreeable work. Curtis

Karen Schubert said...

My artistic goal is to play with the Rock Bottom Remainders. Hands down #1 goal.

Nin Andrews said...

I love that, Karen! You are too funny.

And thank you Curtis!
Moot court judging? That sounds fascinating, but I imagine it was stressful.

ACravan said...

The strangest part about moot court judging is that because the participants went through a large number of rounds where the fact patterns remained largely the same, but slight variations were introduced, including in the genders of the characters who were the subject of the law case, the students occasionally became confused about this and stated character genders inconsistently, which really confused the judges who knew very little about the cases they were hearing. It was a bit murder mystery-ish. But the students were really quite good, filling one with hope for the younger generation. Curtis