Saturday, August 4, 2007

BPA: I wouldn't feed it to pets

Is it just plastic containers and bottles that are sometimes bad for you? Suzanne asked me when we were shopping to repace her favorite Nalgene bottle. No. Cans too. As in Coke cans and most cans sold in grocery stores. Anything that contains Bisphenol A, or BPA, a hormone disruptor.

"Used to make hard plastic, BPA can seep from beverage containers and other materials. It is used in all polycarbonate plastic baby bottles, as well as other rigid plastic items, including large water cooler containers, sports bottles and microwave oven dishes, along with canned food liners and some dental sealants for children."
www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-plastics3aug03,0,234908.story?coll=la-home-center

BPA has been in the news many times, and it is in the news again today. Usually folks don't read about it. Dunno why not. Today's article states: "Americans are exposed to far more of a controversial chemical than previously thought — levels that likely surpass the government's current safety standard and which have been shown to cause harm in animals, according to a joint statement issued Thursday by 38 leading scientists."
www.usatoday.com/money/industries/health/2007-08-02-bisphenol_N.htm

I never feed my dogs canned food because of BPA. After all, the alarming research is done on animals. "Scientists agreed that even very low doses cause profound effects on laboratory animals . . ."

Every day I feel more and more like a laboratory animal myself. (Maybe I shouldn't admit this.) I have a recurring fear I am the unwitting victim of a scientific experiment. Sometimes I just want to howl at the moon.



featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/features_julieshealthclub/2007/08/scientists-warn.html

No comments: